Sunday 27 September 2015

31 Day Challenge - inspired by art

A while back I saw some very cool manuscript nail art from Break Rules Not Nails. I wanted to try something similar for this challenge. A while back, I'd stumbled on an article about a popular and charmingly odd medieval manuscript theme: knights fighting against snails. I found an image I thought I could fit on my nails from an article about knights and snails called Snail Jousting. The article talks a bit about the role of knights fighting snails, and the blog Hunting For Snails has more images and more information if you're keen to learn more.

Here's the image I chose:
Knight jousts snail, Frontispiece to Le livre des enseignments des visces et des vertus France, N.(Picardy)(From the British Library Catalogue of Illuminated Manuscripts)

I started by painting my nails white, as the decals are a bit transparent. I took the water decal I'd printed earlier of the illustration, cut it to fit on each nail, and then topcoated it to stick them on. I finished with OPI's matte topcoat to match the pages of a book.



Because my nails are so curved the image is not a smooth from one nail to the next as I'd hoped. Still, medieval knight vs. snail art on my nails = sweet.

2 comments:

  1. OMG Yess!!!
    I love the look of medieval art and old manuscripts on nails, and these are an awesome example of it!
    Such a cool theme, knights vs snails lol, I'm definitely looking that up!
    Great job with the decals... Love them!
    Ars Ungealis (@Ungulae on Twitter)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) manuscript nails are cool. Definitely look into the knights vs snails, there are so many great images out there!

      Delete